Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Should the US switch to metric units?
Yeah, ASAP!! 71 73.96%
I dunno. Let me think about it. 7 7.29%
Now why would anyone use the metric system? 18 18.75%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2015, 03:30 AM   #171 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 53.82 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Well, when you consider that the metric system is over two centuries old (and, as has been pointed out, has numerous inefficiencies in everyday use), let us wait for a newer, more efficient one to come along :-)

Now when was I singing praises? I simply stated well-known facts of economics: the European (and Japanese) economic resurgence after WWII was in large part due to the more modern replacement infrastructure. It may not be kind, gentle, or good, but life is often like that.
Oh, so you are willing to change after all. It is just that the metric system isn't good enough? What other system would be acceptable then?
Let me guess... Something like what you are used to?

You don't get the economics thing either, do you? We lost the tools to repair the damage and the people that were needed were either dead or starving by the end of the war. But we probably should not complain too hard, because the Eastern European countries have seen even worse atrocities and destruction.
And indeed we were thankful for the Marshall help, without that (and the benefits of the metric system, of course) it might have taken another decade extra.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #172 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
As a creature made out of water and highly dependent on using water, I consider its freezing point to be about the most relevant temperature there is.

Aside from raw survival, it's a solid reference point. It's getting down into the 270s, you'd better watch the curves just doesn't convey what It's getting down to freezing does.

As to rebuilding Europe, no one is recommending general war as a renewal plan. But once it's happened, it's taking a constructive look forward- and it's not unrealistic to look back and see the war as having been the cause of the massive change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 12-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #173 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

We could always go to degrees Kelvin to get rid of negative temperatures...

Quote:
I'm sure glad phone manufacturers settled on USB
Actually, the USB standard was screwed up as well. At the time it was adopted, integrated circuits almost without exception were powered with 5v rails. Now they aren't, mostly. It would have made more sense to have USB supply 12v rather than 5v, and just step down the voltage to whatever is needed with a voltage converter. That would have fit in better with the previous standard (car batteries, solar panels, etc. mostly being 12 v). Now we have two standards to deal with.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:56 PM   #174 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
below freezing is hardly nonsensical, nor is boiling, I will assume you are kidding (I want a temperature system designed to have a 100 degree spread between the freezing and boiling point of water...
Why? That's always seemed nonsensical to me - again, for everyday use. Normal outdoor temperatures go from - oh, about -40 to 50 in centigrade - so large range of commonly-encountered temperatures need to be negative values, while at the upper end the 2-digit range goes well above what's encountered anywhere but cooking. Hardly convenient.

And on top of that, one end of the scale - boiling point - is variable, and just defined as 100 degrees by parochial folk who live near sea level. Hereabouts it boils around 95C.

Quote:
I'm sure glad phone manufacturers settled on USB
I just wish they'd settle on one small USB connector. Every one of the half-dozen or so portable USB devices I have - phone, tablet, cameras, GPS - uses a slightly different shape.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:00 PM   #175 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Oh, so you are willing to change after all. It is just that the metric system isn't good enough?
Ah, you obviously didn't recognize sarcasm when you read it. The point I was trying to make was not about my willingness to change. I was just trying to point out that the metric system is equally irrational, just in different ways.

The only system(s) that could be called rational are those based on either fundamental physical constants (for science), or handy hunan-based measures (for everyday use).
Old 12-18-2015, 11:32 PM   #176 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,823 Times in 7,279 Posts
Degrees vs Radians. Discuss.

Quote:
The only system(s) that could be called rational are those based on either fundamental physical constants (for science), or handy hunan-based measures (for everyday use).
Whatever units you settle on, the Cartesian coordinate system is fundamentally flawed. Universe is inherently tetrahedronal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synergetics_%28Fuller%29
Old 12-18-2015, 11:41 PM   #177 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Hereabouts it boils around 95C.
Lol, it isn't like sea level is that arbitrary, well it is a bit, but not as arbitrary as "lets base it on where james is living", I think on degrees of irrationality, that might win... I mean the sea is over 70% of the earths surface, you can't pretend to be of that sort of significance.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:39 AM   #178 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
I mean the sea is over 70% of the earths surface
By democratic vote the Earth's surface is at sea level, then

But when the polar ice will melt in a few years, sea level will rise. Will we have to redefine the Celsius scale by a fraction of a degree?

I'm surprised no one here is arguing about the superiority of the Fahrenheit scale... What if...

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
The Following User Says Thank You to Piwoslaw For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #179 (permalink)
Tire Geek

Along these same lines of thinking:

I read a letter to the editor many years ago arguing against the metric system. where one of the arguments was clothes sizing - that pants come in waist and inseam measurements and how in the world are we going to buy a pair of pants labeled 71.12 X 76.2 instead of 28 X 30 - and not realizing that small, medium, and large are dimensionless and that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following User Says Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (12-19-2015)
Old 12-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #180 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 53.82 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Along these same lines of thinking:

I read a letter to the editor many years ago arguing against the metric system. where one of the arguments was clothes sizing - that pants come in waist and inseam measurements and how in the world are we going to buy a pair of pants labeled 71.12 X 76.2 instead of 28 X 30 - and not realizing that small, medium, and large are dimensionless and that doesn't seem to be a problem.
The rest of the world runs around naked, in pure frustration of the confusing size system

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Reply  Post New Thread