View Single Post
Old 12-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
sgtlethargic
Master EcoModder

Aerodynamic Streamlining Template SolidWorks 3d Model

Here's a SolidWorks model of the Aerodynamic Streamlining Template. This is my first decent version. It's not well defined, but it is based on the AST. The front plane (profile view) is a single AST and the top plane (plan view) is two ASTs to make a teardrop shape.

The following is what I recall doing. I traced the AST outline by placing points at the percentage marks. Then I spaced them evenly in the horizontal direction, and connected the dots with straight lines. So, it's not curved. That's why there are sections that look like panels. I ended up with a 90° arc for the windshield area. I extruded a boss of the teardrop shape on the top plane and cut extruded the AST profile from the front plane to get the 3d shape (that order was necessary, versus the reverse order). I filleted the edges at the nose, the resulting shapes are what SW came up with, and it was good enough. I changed those to glass. And I added four wheels.

The overall length is 165 in, overall height is 37 in, overall width is 64 in. Tire diameter is 28 in, track width is 36 in, wheelbase is 72 in. So, these aren't refined.

I think it's pretty cool.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ast pictorial.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	19348  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgtlethargic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-27-2015), BamZipPow (12-28-2015), sendler (12-28-2015)