View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #46 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
have you driven one of those 8 speeds? horrible. To be fair, i drove one in a '15 RAM with the hemi, but my god, from 40mph put my foot on the floor and it took a good 1.5 to 2 seconds just to find a gear and move. And news about the 9 speed seems to be worse. yikes!
Our van with the same motor (3.6) only has the 5 speed but when in "eco" mode drives most reviewers and hot rodders nuts. I personally think it's doing it's job, short shifting and keeping the motor in a better efficiency rpm and load. We can get 30mpg with our minivan at 65 steady. Less frontal area and better aero along with two extra gears I have no doubt will do better then 30. The 3.6 pentstar is a great motor. I can't wait to see how adding direction injection will improve it.

But to answer your question, I have not driven anything with the 8 speed yet. It's going in pretty much everything from Chrysler and a lot of exotics use so it can't be that bad. My bet it was more an issue with learning/programming and the electronic throttle then an inherent problem with the ZF 8HP transmission.