View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Thanks Bruce! I'm debating a grill block for the road trip but i'm not sure how much would be safe or ideal. I blocked off the top half of the grill on our last trip to Seattle but that was in the winter. I was tempted to block off the entire grill and let the engine breath through the bumper opening but I'm not sure thats a good idea in the summer with the AC on. Any ideas?
I judge my grill block status by the LED that lights up when the rad fan kicks in. Set up the LED well before adding grill block so you can see 'normal' operation to compare against.

In summer, with efan only and no clutch fan, and no a/c, the efan did not come on at any speeds over 30-40 mph using the old oem grill. Regardless of temps. Maybe on a truly steep and long hill. My current grill panel has a reduced opening and the efan comes on for gentle highway upgrades even at 70-75 degree outdoor temps. Observation of the temp gauge shows that the efan switching is appropriate - that is, the gauge starts to climb just a bit before fan comes on.

My current grill panel is a variation on what you see in my avatar. It's about 2/3 the opening area of the oem grill.

Last edited by brucepick; 08-03-2008 at 08:49 AM..