View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 10:19 AM   #240 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gildo4realdo View Post
Although I do realize driving style is very important, I just can't look past the safety hazards of the pulse and glide stuff.
First, I'd like to counter the claim that P&G is inherently hazardous. That's a misconception/generalization. Done by a competent driver in an appropriate vehicle, in appropriate circumstances, it's no more dangerous than any other of the myriad "normal" driving techniques used to get where we're going.

I think I can speak for Andrew and tell you that, yes, he uses P&G and engine-off coasting (EOC) quite a lot. As larryrose11 correctly pointed out, technique is the path to the largest fuel economy gains.

That's not to say the mods aren't helping significantly on their own. I think it's safe to say that driven at a constant highway speed (ie. no special techniques), Andrew's mods may represent roughly a 20% improvement over his car's stock configuration. (Note that the alternator delete mod represents a significant chunk of that total.)

FYI, I posted a breakdown of "mods vs. technique" for my car here: 2006 retrospective (there's more where that came from) - MetroMPG.com

Are mods worth 20% alone worth doing? I suppose the answer depends on your own particular criteria for return on investment of time/resources.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget