View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
instarx
EcoModding Dilatant

Volvo - '00 Volvo V70 XC AWD SE
90 day: 27.7 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
instarx -

Wow, that's impressive. Can you describe the orientation of the attachment? I am assuming the velcro is horizontal, "ceiling mounted", aka being pulled down by gravity all the time.

CarloSW2
Thanks, I think it turned out pretty well for $4.69 worth of PVC rain-guttering. The rain gutter was cut lengthwise to give the dam an L-shape, the short part of the L becomes a horizontal lip that faces to the front of the car. The back of the gutter (the part that goes against the house) is the part you see on the car, so the bottom of the gutter turns into the horizontal mounting lip. I had to cut some slits in the lip to allow it to bend in a nice curve. The velcro is attached to the bottom of the lip and to the top of the body panel, so yes - the velcro is horizontal.

However, where the ends of the dam meet the front of the wheel well the vertical part of the dam (the part that you see) is bent 90 degrees inward so the velcro there is vertical, holding the dam to the wheel well material.

Next project: side skirts made of the same gutter material. I think screws or plastic rivets will be a better choice for those. Neither the dam nor the skirts will stay white - I'll paint them dark grey to match the car trim.

Last edited by instarx; 08-03-2008 at 01:01 PM..