View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
I'm in the process of installing an electric motor to run my P/S. My Toy. Previa has a an accessory driveshaft that runs alt, P/S, A/C, rad fan, all of which are now disconnected. 4 pulleys, two belts. Initially when I disconnected the Alt.(belt on, my first experiment) and went to deep cycle battery power I got about 17% better FE.

Now the belts are off. I'm excited about my next fill. The throttle response is now so touchy and it revs like a race car. Steering is pretty tough but not as bad as my dads old f150 manual.
A good source of info on this is at the EV discussion lists because the have to deal with this all the time.

By going electric you may actually increase the demand on your engine because now you have to convert hp to elec at 45-50% efficiency then the motor has to change it back into motion at maybe 60-80% efficiency. Unless you go to on demand only or get a new high efficiency P/S unit from a newer car. You have to be careful which method you choose. But that's why we are here.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.