View Single Post
Old 01-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #329 (permalink)
jedi_sol
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Retiring the STi from Ecomodding

With a heavy heart, I've decided to retire the STi from Ecomodding. I'll still keep the car for "fun" weekend driving and drive it like how it was meant to be driven.

So for the next couple of weeks, i'll be "un-ecomodding" the car and transferring most of the mods onto the replacement car. I'll still keep the aero bits (underbelly tray, "tesla style" inner sides skirts, and rear diffuser) on because RACECAR. Plus, those mods are less noticeable to the naked eye. Then I'll give it a nice wash and fresh wax and then relegate it to "Garage Queen" status .

I hope Ecomodder has enjoyed its journey for the past 2.5 years. The car has pushed my limits in terms of custom fiberglass work in order to get that "Almost OEM" look. Big thanks to DARIN (MetroMPG) for the recognition!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/454501-post18.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Front paged.

I've seen a lot of negative comments in regular gearhead forums about ecomodders' cars looking like junk because of cardboard, coroplast and duct tape. (I'm guilty of that for sure, but I also don't really care what the car looks like.)

Mods like this can be held up as examples for people who want to have their nice-looking cake and save gas with it too.
Indeed “Having your cake and eating it too” has been my “motto” from the get go. I got a lot of strange looks from other WRX owners out there, but I know I can always count on Ecomodder to keep my spirits up. It was fun knowing I can blast down freeway onramps or carve up some canyon roads, then cruise home while achieving 35mpg. Unfortunately, those instances are few and far between. 99% of my time is commuting 100 miles a day in Los Angeles Traffic (yes, I did take the train for a while, but waking up everyday at 3:30am gets really old). At the end of 2015, I tallied up all of my gas receipts and I ended up averaging $250/month on gas. So 35mpg just wasn’t cutting it. Time to move into something smaller.

Some highlights of the STi’s Ecomodding Career:
Best Tank: 32.54 MPG (63% over EPA's 20 combined mpg)
Best Commute to Work (Los Angeles): 35 MPG (52% over EPA's HWY 23mpg)
Lifetime Fuel Economy: 28.4 MPG
Lifetime % over EPA (20 combined mpg) : 42% over EPA

Almost OEM Upper and Lower Grill Block

Rear-Diffuser

Custom Scangauge Mount

It’s final Ecomodding iteration

Replacement car, you may ask?
THE 1.0 Liter, 3 Cylinder darling of Ecomodder…..Boomyeah…

Will start a build thread soon for the Geo Metro
Thanks for reading!

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html

Last edited by jedi_sol; 01-22-2016 at 05:51 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jedi_sol For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (01-23-2016), Daox (01-22-2016), Fat Charlie (01-22-2016), pgfpro (01-22-2016)