View Single Post
Old 01-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #74 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Sorry about touching the old thread. It was a slow day and VW is not handling their problem well:
  • VW CEO 'we did not cheat, we did not understand' to NPR - it defies understanding unless they thought the emissions tests were just a hoop to jump through and had no effect on operation.
  • European cities ban cars - bad air days, some cities have had to ban cars except for electrics. China has a different source of bad air but are doing the same thing, banning cars and bad-air days. Seriously, VW was poisoning their own people.
  • Resisting "Lemon Law" recall - a Florida owner got his money back using their Lemon Law over a vigorous defense by VW. The right answer is for VW to offer a new, replacement swap, one-for-one, and then fix the broken cars on their time and dime. New car for old, an even money+inflation trade.
  • Even SRC equipped cars used 'cheat-diesel' software - since 2013 VW has been selling SRC equipped cars yet still used the 'cheat-diesel' code.
A bit long, for a detailed read of VW-gate:
http://www.computer.org/cms/Computer...ruary-2016.pdf

Think about how many diesel owners, diesel advocates, and press have been totally suckered in by the 'cheat-diesels.' Locally, 40 members voted for cheat-diesels when they were called "clean diesels." But I also remember the Portland-to-Portland, 8000 mile stunt (in the end, the premium price for diesel made the cost/mile, Gen-2 Prius the winner.)

In the USA, at least 500,000 cheat-diesel sales could have gone to legal diesels, hybrids, and even gassers. VW called them "clean diesels" when they were really "cheat-diesels."

The quickest and best solution is a one-for-one swap of new VW, equivalent cars or a cash+inflation+25% payment for these cheat-diesels. Once VW has them, I don't care if they fix'em, salvage, or ship'em.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 01-26-2016 at 12:06 PM..