View Single Post
Old 01-28-2016, 03:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
jedi_sol
Master EcoModder

2013 STi *SOLD* - '13 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Subaru
Sports Cars
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 26.59 mpg (US)

1996 Geo Metro *RETIRED from Ecomodding* - '96 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
What kind of mileage were you getting in the Subaru? What is EPA? Lifetime MPG: 28.4mpg. EPA: 20mpg. So that's 42% over EPA

You did some impressive work, so I look forward to your progress. THANKS! Zerohour also did some nice modifications to his Subaru. Then he bought a Mini and disappeared. I did not try too many things with my Forester. It seemed futile. I've come to the same realization too, hence I bought the Geo

Didn't you make a crash wrap Kammback for your Del Sol? That was a different user...Ecky? (I think?) Everybody else, do you remember making fun of me for my marine wrap grill block? It's ecomodder, nobody ever makes fun of anybody about anything!

I am not linking it. I kept seeing people talk about the idea. I tried it and everybody laughed at me. Another science win there.

The back may be (far) more important, but if you cannot swap out the recessed headlights with flush ones, I imagine that you would have an easy time making clear covers.

Excuse me for asking, but didn't your personal life prevent you from trying anything too radical with your STI?

Yep, blame the fiance. I wanted to do more aero mods because my commute is mainly highway, but she would break up with me if i went all kammback on the Sti. Therefore, i'd have to do less noticeable mods, such as power steering delete, alternator delete, a/c delete. However, since the car was new, I didn't want to risk breaking anything. Plus it's nice to have a/c in the hot summers.

What do you think of the Metro? I had some mechanics tell me how surprisingly nice and enjoyable it was to drive.
My thoughts on the Metro? It's perfect for what it was designed to do, it gets AWESOME GAS MILEAGE! Other than that, it's as basic as a car can get. It comes with power nothing.

Acceleration is.....eventual.

Handling is.....it's not fair to compare it to the Del sol and Sti, so i wont. I haven't really pushed the Geo yet because every time i grip the steering wheel hard, it disintegrates a little bit more. Since it has no power steering, the steering "feel" is direct. The car is really lightweight so that helps in the handling department too. It's not floaty, body roll is not terrible. It does come with a front stabilizer bar. James May from Top Gear says small economy cars are a lot more fun to drive because you reach their limits a lot sooner.

Road Noise and Comfort: for a 19 year old car, the road noise is actually pretty good! A lot more quieter than my mom's 2005 Hyundai Accent. Im sure when I get the undertray and mirror deletes installed, it will be even queiter. The interior has held up pretty good as well. I've only found one rattle that I have to take care of. In my 2 year old STI, i nearly disassembled the entire interior to get rid of all of the squeaks and rattles! Seats are soft, however they do lack lumbar support. I wish the center console had an armrest though.

Shift lever: It's what you'd expect from an economy car, long, mushy, and vague gear changes. These can be alleviated with new (or rebuilt) shifter bushings and a short shifter from a honda civic.

Safety: Let's just say If I was to get into a crash, the only crash I hope to get into is full frontal at less than 15mph.

Overall: Fun little car and it's not extremely terrible if your expectations are not really high. Even if you thrash on it, you'll still get better MPG than most modern "economical" cars of today.

All in All, the main reason I bought the GEO was to rack up the 100 mile round trip to commute to work every day. I ran the numbers, I would potentially spend $120 a month (includes gas, insurance, and spreading the $1500 cost over 4 years) VS the $239 I spend in GAS ONLY on the Sti.

See the rest of the Sti project log:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...log-26612.html

Last edited by jedi_sol; 01-28-2016 at 03:17 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jedi_sol For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (01-29-2016)