View Single Post
Old 02-05-2016, 06:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlvs2run View Post
The city does this with the water. I use less than 1/15 of the average, but the city charges me 75 percent of the average. People who use 5 times the average only pay 50 percent more. Thus those of use who conserve are paying for those who use excessive amounts. The city's excuse is that most of the cost is for infrastructure. This is wrong, and I wish there was some way to make the cost more equitable.

Imagine if gasoline pumps charged everyone for infrastructure, and you paid about the same regardless of how many gallons you filled up. If you got only 5 gallons, you'd pay almost as much as someone who filled up a truck. Likewise, gas, electric and telephone bills would be almost the same for everyone, regardless of how much was used.
How is it "wrong"? Water is cheap, it literally falls from the sky. The majority of the cost is building/maintaining the system to clean/treat it and deliver it to your house.

Charge a flat rate per gallon, and your neighbors have to pay for your share of the infrastructure. That seems wrong to me.

I'm fine with that system of fees so long as the costs accurately reflect the per-household infrastructure costs.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods