View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 10:47 AM   #35 (permalink)
Daox
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Smog pump connector was the right shape... but way too big haha. Going to see if the vendor can get me the right plug.

I worked on the car a bit this weekend. This time for a little body work. The only real body rust on the car is the driver's side rear wheel well. Before it got too bad, I wanted to do something about it. I'm definitely NOT a body guy at all, but I am trying my hand at it.

Here is the main rust I'm talking about. There was another little bit where the rear bumper cover attaches that I'm not going to really cover as I didn't take pictures of it.

This was my main tool. However, I also used a flat bladed screw driver to tap on and scrape off chunks of rust to get down to the metal.

Here I got it all sanded down and cleaned with paint prep. Sadly there as a hole already made in the metal. I ended up taking the rear wheel liner off and getting the back side too to try to deter the rust as long as possible.

The next step isn't pretty, but it'll be smoothed out. I brushed on some Eastwood rust encapsulator. Its a rust converter product. After it cures, I'll sand it a bit, add some filler, and then prime and paint it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jetta1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	19641   Click image for larger version

Name:	jetta2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	19642   Click image for larger version

Name:	jetta3.jpg
Views:	163