View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,607 Times in 7,088 Posts
Thanks for taking that extra step. I bookmarked you post. I understand that varying parameters, more than just ground clearance (straight vs exponential horn, etc.) could optimize the result. And that it's for comparison purposes only. I'll take 10% as the significant number. It's not really my idea, it came from a rectangular duct under a drift racer or something.

I mapped out how I would tackle coroplast FWIW. I'm a fan of formless construction. If you make a wide slot in the flutes and backside it would result in a radius. The ones going laterally are the problem, so you lay out with diamonds. Chain them together and the result is a long strip with non-parallel edges.

That first body you built could be rendered as a triangulated low-poly model. I don't know much about the tool path from the Solidworks model to a cutting pattern.

If your thinking fibreglass/carbonfibre bodywork, look into http://basalt.guru. It's a competitive product. You could for instance layer a fiberglass skin with a basalt mesh reinforcing backing, the thermal expansion is the same.

Last edited by freebeard; 03-01-2016 at 06:40 PM..