View Single Post
Old 03-02-2016, 07:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
It doesn't look like the damage is as bad in some places as I had feared. In fact, I'd say it's quite fixable.

It looks like most of the damage to the front bumper cover was actually from the tow truck pulling it out.

The radiator is not, in fact, bent, but the A/C evap is very slightly.

Here's the worst of it:

I couldn't get the wheel off of the hub at first. The tire is in unknown condition, but I'm not going to trust it. I think I'll need to take the CV axle off to get the control arm off, which seems to have bent and absorbed most of the impact. It bent, and the steering arm snapped, leaving the mounting points on the frame apparently undamaged.

I can't tell if the shock will need replacement or not.

The strange bit is that when I tried to start it, it didn't do anything when I turned the key. It was still running after the accident, and my wife shut it off before getting in the ambulance. I hear the fuel pump prime but the starter isn't starting it.

The 12v seemed a little low so I put it on to charge, and the temperature might be cold enough that it's trying to use the backup 12v starter - but we shall see. I can't see any obvious reason it won't start.

Last edited by Ecky; 03-02-2016 at 07:58 PM..