View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
70mpg @ 50mph in a 4 door sedan

It was ~55F today and on the way home from my dad's cataract surgery in my new-to-me Civic Hybrid, I slowly crept up toward 70mpg on the zero net elevation change 20-mile drive between the hospital and his house. The FCD briefly showed 70.0, but after climbing the short hill to his house, I pulled into his driveway with a final average of 68.8mpg.

I expect it would've been over 100mpg in my Insight, but it's not ready for the road yet, and besides, these two cars are not really fighting in the same weight class.

The Civic currently has only a lower grille block, and is running on non-LRR winter tires. Can't wait to see what it gets when the weather warms up and I have new tires on it.

I've driven that route many, many times in my in-laws' 2014 Prius, and have never quite managed 70.

I've seen running, highish mileage versions of this car with weak or dying batteries going for as little as $800. I don't know that I'd recommend it to a relative, but there's certainly a lot of potential for the price for an ecomodder.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
mcrews (03-10-2016), spacemanspif (03-11-2016)