View Single Post
Old 03-30-2016, 04:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
2 Honda Accord Starting Issues

My friend has two 1998 Honda Accord 4-cylinder cars. Within a few weeks of each other, both have suffered different starting issues.

The first issue seems straight forward. Turning the key to the start position results in a click from the starting solenoid, but the starter doesn't engage. I hit it with a hammer, and now the clicking doesn't even happen. The battery charge and grounds are good. Bad solenoid?

The second car will spin the starter and engine, but will not start unless the throttle is opened a little and the starter is run for a few seconds (perhaps 5) longer than normal. Sometimes the car will die when letting off the throttle to coast to a stop. No CEL, and otherwise the car appears to operate normally.

I swapped the IAC valve between the cars thinking this was the culprit, but the problem remained. Once the car is warm, stopping the engine and restarting it functions normally.

Diagnosing parts should be easy since there are 2 identical cars. I'd just like an educated guess as to what is wrong before spending all my time swapping every part between cars.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!