View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 12:37 AM   #50 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
New best tank!

The results came in for my almost exclusively highway commute tank, and they were dissapointing. 499.2 miles, 13.999 gallons. It turns out to be 35.7 mpg. I didn't look at what the scanguage tank mpg was at, but before this trip which was 40.3 mpg btw it was 36.5. Very dissapointing, I expected the scangauge to be pessimistic! One difference to my previous fillup procedures was that there was someone using my usual pump, so I parked, turned off the engine, and waited. I waited for about a minute before restarting the engine because I didn't want the fuel system to empty back into the tank. Less than a minute later the person pulled out and I filled up. If the fuel system emptied back into the tank, it would have taken less fuel to fill up. So I really don't know what happened, I just hope that this tank is summer gas now.

Okay, traffic. Traffic was fairly light, but faster than usual, and I wasn't feeling well so I drove a little less efficiently. Only two instances of dumb stuff happening . First, I was going about 60, saw cars in front of me going slow, look over to see a car passing me so of course I have to slow down! There was a train of 4 cars going about 45 mph, that's just too slow for an expressway.

Second event, I was merging on a stupid corner merge that vents into the left lane. I speed up to about 60 or 65, some dumb altima approaches at 75 in the way left lane, the same lane that I have to get into. Seriously people? If you drive on this road everyday then you know that people merge into the left lane, staying in the left lane is NOT going to get you places faster OR safer. Okay, so I merge at 65, altima has to hit the brakes, I want to move over to the far right lane. There are two closely spaced SUVs in the lane to the right of me, I can't slow down because the altima is behind me, so I accelerate. The SUVs speed up as well. I get tired of holding traffic up, and I don't want to have to go 75 to pass these people, so I put on my right turn signal and wait...Nothing, they don't react, they don't slow down to let me in or speed up and pass. Okay, fine, I floor it in 6th gear, the SUVs accelerate AGAIN! Are they actually TRYING TO BLOCK ME? I get pissed and double clutch to 3rd gear 4500 RPM and put the PEDAL TO THE METAL BABY! Nothing. It takes TWO WHOLE SECONDS for the friggin' traction control system to realize i'm not doing a burnout at 65 MPH! It finally accepts my input, and I take it to 80 MPH and leave those blockers in the dust, coast in neutral back to 55 MPH and continue on my way.

So anyways, spring break! Woohoo! Now I can FINALLY work on my car some more! My plans are to cut a NACA duct in the frondertray for cooling, hot glue the undertray panels together and make sure the screws are tight, then hot glue those too. I'll glue my diffuser extension which has held up remarkably well considering that it is using clear tape. These will be reliability enhancements for the undertray. I want to remake my wheel boattails 2G Prius style, and make some 1G insight style tire spats for rear wheels. Also, I tried out side air deflectors for the wheels on this trip. No butt tunnel difference noticed, car still coasts well, and they were still attached when I got to my destination. Considering they were ghetto rigged with windshield wiper ads, cardboard, and clear tape, i'm surprised they held up. Will remake a better design with coroplast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3625.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	19863 Isn't that a NICE picture?

Name:	IMG_3627.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	19864 Side view

Name:	IMG_3628.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	19865 Top view

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...