View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #541 (permalink)
redneck
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
250MPG

Lawd, lawd. Makes you wonder exactly what VW is charging all that money FOR on their super high tech two-seater 1L car.
It does make one wonder...

Quote:
"a cheerfully loony shadetree wrench"
You forgot "funny looking"....

Quote:
If a cheerfully loony shadetree wrench in upstate NY can screw together a 40-year-old fiberglass bathtub on an even older English chassis powered by a no-tech garden tractor engine and do JUST AS WELL, exactly what is all that extra money FOR?
Jerry didn't do "JUST AS WELL" he did better. According to this article, he did waaaay better...

2014 Volkswagen XL1 First Drive - Automobile Magazine

Quote:
Volkswagen’s new one-liter car fell short of its lofty fuel-economy claims by about 50 percent, netting “only” about 160 mpg.
Quote:
“One-liter car” is Euro-speak for the gold standard of green driving; a car that consumes one liter of fuel in 100 kilometers, or the equivalent of 235 mpg. VW actually claims 0.9 liter per 100 kilometers (261 mpg) for the XL1. Mind you, these figures come from standardized European testing, which typically yields results that skew higher than U.S. fuel-economy ratings. The Toyota Prius, for instance, gets a combined rating of 3.9 liters per 100 kilometers (60 mpg), whereas the EPA rates the car at 50 mpg combined.
Quote:
After 135 miles in test car number three, the trip computer reports the equivalent of 147 mpg, an average speed of 23 mph (which, even for Switzerland, is very slow), and 127 miles of range remaining. This isn’t the whole story, because my consumption hovered around 118 mpg in test cars one and two, excellent for a two-seater that can top 100 mph but below par among a competitive group of *****-footers.

I'd say that he didn't just beat VW... He spanked them... Lol.

I can't wait to see how he does this year.

>

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
changzuki (04-10-2016), HHOTDI (08-04-2016)