View Single Post
Old 04-06-2016, 05:01 AM   #19 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
GGP Planning - Chap. 1: Fuel

This will be the first of hopefully several planning posts for this year's GGP.

Ethanol Free Fuel

I've been using ethanol free fuel for the GGP for a couple years now. I estimate at least a 5% increase in mpg when using ethanol free fuel, maybe more than that. There's a source just south of Watkins Glen, at:
Lake's Gas
2020 Highway 14
Montour Falls, NY
Phone: 607-535-8097

Starting today, I plan my fillups so I'll arrive for a fillup at my Pennsylvania pure gas station with a very low tank. Then I top up again at Lake's Gas just prior to the GGP mpg competition. That way I have the purest possible concentration of ethanol free fuel in my tank. When I get to the TOPS station for the official GGP fillup, my tank is nearly full. This year, with the road rally in the morning and the track event afterwards, I'll visit Lake's between those two events.

As I enter NY state driving west on I-84, I fuel up at:
Dutch's Market

1564 Highway 507
Greentown, PA
Phone: 570-676-3373

GPS has sometimes gotten the route wrong for the Dutch's Market address. You must go just over a mile SOUTH on Hwy 507 after exiting 84, not north. Dutch's is a decent size supermarket; not a bad place for a quick bite and a pit stop.

The key reference for finding ethanol-free stations is:
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
They have apps for iPhone and Android. Check their site. It's been a long time since I used the app but it might be helpful.
Their listings are by state; for NY it is:
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Unfortunately you can't simply enter a zip code and find all the nearby ethanol-free gas stations. Each state covered has their own page, and cities/towns are listed alphabetically on the page. So the station you need might be right outside a major city but it will be listed by its address - which could be a tiny town. Usually the best way to find the station you need is to search manually, prior to your trip. Maybe the phone apps have a more automated search feature.

Last edited by brucepick; 04-11-2016 at 09:38 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to brucepick For This Useful Post:
UltArc (04-09-2016)