View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #198 (permalink)
MPaulHolmes
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
thanks Metromizer!

You were exactly right about the brake problem. In every case, it was the left side of the brake cylinder that was frozen solid. JC Whitney sold them for 11.99, so I just bought 4 new ones. Also, almost all of the brake shoe asbestos stuff just fell right off the metal. The how to keep your VW Alive for the idiot had the same suggestions that you did, so, I think I did it right.

I saw the counterbore you were talking about. It's a sunken-in circle cut into the transmission bell housing. It has a diameter of about 11 inches or something like that. I would like to buy the machining equipment so I could do all this stuff myself. I suppose a mill along with a rotary table could be used to cut out a cylindrical disk that could be attached (JB Weld???) to a larger sheet of metal that would later be bolted to the bell housing. Then a hole could be cut in those 2 sheets that is concentric with the counterbore hole, with a diameter that is identical to the diameter of the cylindrical extrusion that is a part of the motor body that is concentric with the motor shaft. Set the plate over the motor shaft extruding cylinder. Next drill the transmission mounting holes by placing the transmission over the other side of the plate. It should slide right on, given the counterbore fitting over the cylinder that was cut and JB welded to the bigger plate. Now everything is aligned. Next, spraypaint holes for the transmission mounting, and drill them out.

BAM! I just need a small lathe, and a mill + rotary table combo that can handle cutting circles that are about 11.5 or 12 inches in diameter. Anyone out there know if a basic harbor freight mill and rotary table can do that???

Next, I could use a single lovejoy coupler half with the appropriate motor shaft diameter and keyway size. Chop off the 3 teeth. Then, I can just widen the other side's inner diameter with the baby lathe (can lathes widen holes AND shrink outer diameters??) until the clutch hub piece slides into it. Weld it on to the cylinder, and I'm done!

Thank you Metromizer, you provided the missing pieces for me. I think it makes sense to me now what I need.

Do all transmissions have a counterbore???

Last edited by MPaulHolmes; 08-05-2008 at 12:35 PM..