View Single Post
Old 04-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
Shepherd777
Grand Imperial Poobah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Yes, since the bits are largely non-structural I'd think plain ol' fiberglass would work. I'd go with prop rods on the wheel doors too because 1) how often are you in there and 2) seems like those cylinders fail when you need 'em. KISS.
Fiberglass would indeed work, except for our most important metric, Fuel Ton Efficiency or FTE. So the lighter that we can make the empty vehicle using carbon fiber, the better the FTE number is, as we would haul more freight per gallon of diesel fuel.

We will open the tire access doors at least every morning, while doing a pre-trip inspection, and throughout the day via truck inspector whims.

I always thought the KISS principal was only for the stupid people who don't know how to engineer things correctly. Beautiful engineering IS simple and elegant, and that is what those tire access doors are, IMHO. I just love to show-off forethought in engineering and fabrication. If you don't like my tire access doors, you really won't like some other items. But again, they showcase engineering and forethought. This is a concept vehicle, not a production vehicle, but I will personally drive it 48 states. So it's not a trailer queen.

http://www.airflowtruck.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shepherd777 For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (04-13-2016), MobilOne (04-14-2016), user removed (04-14-2016)