View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #28 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

I prefer the driving line, but it seems many professionals succeed with the late apex. For some parts of the track I was using the longest route possible to extend miles traveled (EOC), but it seemed that FC was less by clipping the apex and maintaining higher speed out of the turn. Specifically, turn 5 (the outer loop) (short circuit, for newcomers).

I'm very excited, but my car was supposed to be finished this past Wednesday. Now I am relying on everything being completed the Wednesday morning before, so don't expect it to be painted, or to 100% stay on...I'm not ruining my lap time to pick up pieces and parts!
Navigator needed - per UltArc's post further up above. This is important!

Corner path drawing:
This is excellent. Steve/UltArc, thanks for posting this. I had not seen these two versions of driving the corner before.

I think at least partially, which line is better depends on your car's handling and its ability to navigate tight corners.

Relating this specifically to Turn One at the Glen, I think the late apex line makes a lot of sense, at least in the Civic and Accord that I've driven on this track.

My reasoning: There's a gentle downgrade in the straight approaching the turn, but it's not enough to change your speed quickly. No real worries there. However part way into the turn, the downslope increases rapidly. If you take the Racing Line, your speed increases as you pass through the section where the words "THE RACING LINE" appear. So you're at or near max speed for the turn, at the point where you need to bend right, to straighten out . Referencing the tan and white patches shown on the outside of the turn, that point is at the second white patch. That may be the WRONG place to be going fast. Just a guess on my part.

Taking the "Late Apex" path instead, you execute a tighter radius turn at the beginning. Referencing the tan and white patches shown on the INSIDE of the turn, that point is at the first brown patch. You're still going at a pretty tame speed here, so a tighter radius turn is probably easier. The straightening out phase looks to be much more gradual, so it should be easier to execute while the hill is accelerating your car.

This year, in my new-to-me Insight... we'll see how it goes! It's not famous for superb cornering on those skinny low rolling resistance tires. But I love driving the twisties.

The Following User Says Thank You to brucepick For This Useful Post:
UltArc (04-10-2016)