View Single Post
Old 04-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #88 (permalink)
The donkey CRX
Master EcoModder

MULE VX - '92 Honda civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 92.6 mpg (US)

White 94 VX "Show Car" - '94 Honda Civic VX VX
90 day: 79.92 mpg (US)

The Walrus - '02 Honda Insight base
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 100.88 mpg (US)
NoD, As far as my driving style, I am an extreme hypermiler, which means in addition to all of the ecomods I have made to the Insight, I use any an all techniques listed on this site.

I shift through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (skipping 4th) never revving above 2000 rpm. I shift into 5th gear as soon as my speed reaches 30 MPH. If the water temp of the car is above 150 degrees, the Insight will go into lean burn at this point. My goal from that point is to DWL (drive with load) so that the car never leaves Lean burn as I reach my desired target speed.

I use a vacuum gauge to monitor my throttle position. My car will maintain Lean burn all the way down to 3 inches of mercury on the gauge. As I climb a hill at 3 inches, the car will maintain 70 MPG on the instantaneous mileage gauge. If I need to increase my speed to keep up with traffic, I use the MIMA toggle to apply assist from the HV battery, while still maintaining at least 70 MPG.

So my minimum MPG target is 70 MPG even while climbing hills.

On flat or downhill portions I use DWL to get the highest MPG possible while maintaining my target MPH. If the downhill is long enough I will pulse (increase speed) to be able to EOC (engine off coasting) to the bottom of the hill while still maintaining enough speed to flow with traffic.

Let me know if this is the information you needed.

Thanks
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The donkey CRX For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-16-2016), rumdog (04-12-2016), TDFbound (11-20-2018), Ulmo (09-12-2019)