View Single Post
Old 04-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #318 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,557 Posts
Took the car into a local shop for an alignment, to have the driver CV axle replaced (it was clunking when first putting it into a forward or reverse gear) and my summer tires mounted and balanced. Here's the dirty ugly rim, placed on the front by the tech who worked on the car:

On my way home from the shop, I was averaging very close to 90mpg. Coming over a hill, I hit my engine kill switch and, upon reaching the bottom, put it back into gear and tried to accelerate, only to find the engine wouldn't fire. I put my foot down and used electric assist to maintain speed for around half a mile, until I found a convenient place on the side of the highway to pull over.

On the side of the road, I turned the ignition, and observed the IMA would spin the engine for a few seconds, and then it would die. I sat for about 10 minutes, thinking, before checking to see if my kill switch was properly engaging my kill switch relay. It was, but on a hunch, I took out a pocket knife and bypassed the kill switch anyway, and the engine started right up.

So, I assume, either my relay has failed, or the wires leading to and from it from the injector grounds.

Interestingly, after bypassing my kill switch, the vibrations that have been plaguing my car since the accident have gone away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Daox (04-14-2016), mpgmike (05-17-2022)