View Single Post
Old 04-17-2016, 09:31 PM   #74 (permalink)
Sven7
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
So much time has passed.

I apparently lost the pink bike's headset. I think it went out with the recycling at some point. Shooooot. So I sourced a Raleigh Grand Prix frame with bent seat stay for free from a friend. I chopped it apart and realized the top and down tubes are the same size I'd been planning on using, so I no longer have to buy tube stock.

With a new angle grinder in my hands, I cleaned the lugs off the Raleigh's head tube and with a hole saw got 90% done fishmouthing the new down tube. Next is to work on the down tube to "top" (bottom?) tube junction and to work the second (free spirit-sourced) head tube into that. And cut a couple gussets for my friend to weld in when he does the other stuff. At this point, the split-apart folding frame idea is off the table. It's too much complexity for little benefit.

My new push is to get this made into a frame (probably not even really painted) by a week and a half from now, if that is possible, so I can show it with my trailers and fatbike at the "Maker Fest" at work on the 28th IIRC. A long shot is to get it rideable and ride it to the MHPVA race at Waterford Hills in June. I don't know if I'll make that, but it's a good goal to am for.

Updated price/cost list:
Wheels
Front hub (Sturmey Archer XRD-8(W)) and 20T cog-....$166, Bikeparts.com
Rear hub (Shimano Deore disc front)-........................$21, Universal Cycles (UC)
Chrome 36h rims.............................................. .....$40, Calhoun Cycles
Spokes, store bought + nipples.................................$40, UC
Custom-cut front spokes.........................................$36 , Brooklyn Bike Doctor
Tires (Maxxis Hookworm)......................................... $40, UC
Rim strips and tubes............................................. ..$12, UC

Brakes
Rear caliper (Hayes MX5 cable disc from a friend's bike)..$30
Rear rotor (Tektro 160mm)........................................$20, UC
Levers............................................ .......................$free/parts bin
Front brake is a drum, included in hub price

Donor Bikes
Huffy [Granite?] (former winter commuter)....................$25/parts bin
-BB and frame segments
-Threaded steer tube

70's Schwinn Exerciser......................................... ....$10/parts bin
-65T chainring
-Minty Schwinn oval head badge
-Assorted tubing
-Minty BB bearings

80s Free Spirit Dynasty 10spd...................................free
-headset for under seat steering
-(the rest of the bike will be donated to the LBS)

Raleigh Grand Prix.............................................. ......free
-head tube
-frame tubing
-stem, maybe

Other
Crank, one piece (Schwinn Stingray or similar).............$5, East Side Bike Shop
Pedals (Shimano SPD).............................................$ free from a friend
Trek forks (2) to use for rear fork...............................$free from a friend

Welding
Front fork.............................................. ...............traded for snow tires

Frame welding jig
MDF 4x8............................................... .................$28, Menards
1/2 pint funnel x4 (to center headsets)......................$2

TOTAL
$477

22 April: Price list updated to reflect jig building costs.

Last edited by Sven7; 04-22-2016 at 08:06 PM..