View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 02:03 AM   #60 (permalink)
H-Man
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Haha you're crazy, I don't think I'd be able to get used to 8 gears in a H pattern.

I advocate 7 gears because usually 1st gear is a little short to be useful outside of getting off the line, and 2nd is usually a little tall and sluggish unless you have monstrous power.

On cars with big engines they just gear 1st fairly tall, but this means your clutch gets roasted really fast in stop and go. A lot of "supercars" with dry clutches have very short clutch life, and I suspect it's because they're geared so tall.

7 gears means you can have 2-6 be the 1-5 in a close ratio road racing style gearbox with 2 and 3 as the versatile acceleration gears, 1st gear be a stump puller for heavy traffic/clutch preservation, and 7 as the extra tall cruising gear for fuel economy. Kind of like how a lot of the dual clutch gearboxes are set up.
8 isn't that bad. A double H for most stuff and a HHHH pattren for all the gears but protected by shift gates and springs.
Code:
Rb 1 3 5  7
|GG|-C-|--|
L  2 4 6  Ra
A saner 7 speed:
1 3 5  7
|-C-|--|
2 4 6  R

Something like that. A -- indicates that the spring is stiffer so that you don't over shoot a set of gears, a GG indicates that there is an electronic shift gate to keep you from missing 1st and hitting R while moving if R is in position Rb instead of Ra (or missing 2 and hitting L). L is back so that the L->1 is in the normal shift pattern. A C indicates where the shiftier centers.