Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2016, 09:14 AM   #51 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I did fine on in San José with eighteen speeds.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-23-2016, 12:43 AM   #52 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Denny's Detector - '08 Mercury Grand Marquis

Taserface - '17 Chevy Volt
I'd really dig my car with an 8 speed manual. Give me a triple overdrive, a stump puller 1st, a 2nd that looks like a first, then have third through fifth be the business gears. With the way my route is, I could use 2 extra overdrive gears (I have some spots where I'd be able to do 75 at 1800 RPM without lugging the engine and then some spots where I'm cursing the gap between 1st, 2nd, and third-- I'm effectively spending a quarter of the time accelerating and another quarter coasting with the hilly route I have).

Old 04-23-2016, 12:47 AM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Man View Post
I'd really dig my car with an 8 speed manual. Give me a triple overdrive, a stump puller 1st, a 2nd that looks like a first, then have third through fifth be the business gears. With the way my route is, I could use 2 extra overdrive gears (I have some spots where I'd be able to do 75 at 1800 RPM without lugging the engine and then some spots where I'm cursing the gap between 1st, 2nd, and third-- I'm effectively spending a quarter of the time accelerating and another quarter coasting with the hilly route I have).
On any kind of declination, I generally pull out of gear and kill the engine. Cruising in-gear is only for level ground and inclines in my cars, and lean burn in 5th can't be held if there's more than the mildest headwind or incline.

Actually, upon consideration, the 2800lb Civic could probably go a little taller, the 1.3L still has some pep, despite being at <1800RPM @ 55.

Some more options between first and third would be nice though.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:00 AM   #54 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
On any kind of declination, I generally pull out of gear and kill the engine. Cruising in-gear is only for level ground and inclines in my cars, and lean burn in 5th can't be held if there's more than the mildest headwind or incline.

Actually, upon consideration, the 2800lb Civic could probably go a little taller, the 1.3L still has some pep, despite being at <1800RPM @ 55.

Some more options between first and third would be nice though.
Not enough slope for that. Can't P&G for a number of reasons so I usually end up having the engine burn half its fuel to spin itself. I'm doing 3k at 60 in 5th- great gearing to go up most interstate standard hills, but horrible on the flats. There is a 60 mile stretch where I'm shifting only between 5th and neutral and back to 5th.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:08 AM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
The Insight rolls at the slightest provocation. I expect I could probably maintain 50mph on less than a 2% grade with the engine off. Even if I'm stopped on level ground at a stop light, a good gust of wind can send me rolling forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
UltArc (04-24-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 02:49 PM   #56 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

If my transmission had 2 diff ratios and used it to reuse 4th and 5th, with a 3.1 high diff ratio and a 4.31 low diff ratio my RPM at 65 MPH would look like this:
Code:
gear     ratio            RPM
3rd      1.31*4.31      5096
4th     0.969*4.31     3770
5th     0.815*4.31     3171
4th H   0.969*3.1      2711
5th H   0.815*3.1      2280
As far as RPM goes, that 4H and 5H look pretty good, I'd be at cruising RPM at highway and freeway speeds. Right now I can hold 5th at 35 MPH and don't need to think about downshifting if I'm over 45 MPH.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:13 PM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by H-Man View Post
Haha you're crazy, I don't think I'd be able to get used to 8 gears in a H pattern.

I advocate 7 gears because usually 1st gear is a little short to be useful outside of getting off the line, and 2nd is usually a little tall and sluggish unless you have monstrous power.

On cars with big engines they just gear 1st fairly tall, but this means your clutch gets roasted really fast in stop and go. A lot of "supercars" with dry clutches have very short clutch life, and I suspect it's because they're geared so tall.

7 gears means you can have 2-6 be the 1-5 in a close ratio road racing style gearbox with 2 and 3 as the versatile acceleration gears, 1st gear be a stump puller for heavy traffic/clutch preservation, and 7 as the extra tall cruising gear for fuel economy. Kind of like how a lot of the dual clutch gearboxes are set up.

Last edited by serialk11r; 04-24-2016 at 08:22 PM..
Old 04-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
I estimate I would get almost 1.0 more MPG if I replaced my five speed manual with the six speed manual transmission from the 2016 Chevrolet Colorado, plus swap my 3.73 rear end for a 3.42. That would result in a lower first gear, a higher sixth gear, and a fifth gear slightly lower than my present fifth.

The dollar return would be negligible, but it would get me THAAAT close to 40 MPG in summer. 40 MPG is much more impressive than 39.5.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:05 AM   #59 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
One big downside to more gears is that the computer has a hard time deciding which gear to choose when downshifting. I have said it before, but the chrysler 8 speed is particularly appalling in this regard.
It's a ZF unit and it is not much loved in any brand it's found in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user removed View Post
Actaully the really crappy CVT's were Subaru Justys and Honda's. Not sure who is making them besides Jatco which is a subsidiary (wholly owned) of Nissan.
Audi also offered CVT's for a few years. They went to some lengths to get it to mimic a more traditional automatic via electronic "shift points". It was a chain drive affair. Also unloved, also suffered from reliability woes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multitronic

I drove a CVT equipped v6 Nissan Maxima for a week or so some years ago. My immediate thought was that there was something wrong with the transmission! But I soon realized it must be a CVT, due to the engine going to 4500 RPM during acceleration and just sitting there as the speedometer rose. It was cool for a week but to be honest I'm not sure I'd want to live with it. My biggest gripe was that it did not seem to hold back the car when attempting to use the gearbox for decelerating, for example when "downshifting" on a decline to keep from gaining speed.

My folks just bought a new CRV. It has a CVT. (My that's a lot of C's and V's.) It's much less obtrusive than the Nissan's. Technology marches on I guess.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:03 AM   #60 (permalink)
The brake pedal is evil

Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
Haha you're crazy, I don't think I'd be able to get used to 8 gears in a H pattern.

I advocate 7 gears because usually 1st gear is a little short to be useful outside of getting off the line, and 2nd is usually a little tall and sluggish unless you have monstrous power.

On cars with big engines they just gear 1st fairly tall, but this means your clutch gets roasted really fast in stop and go. A lot of "supercars" with dry clutches have very short clutch life, and I suspect it's because they're geared so tall.

7 gears means you can have 2-6 be the 1-5 in a close ratio road racing style gearbox with 2 and 3 as the versatile acceleration gears, 1st gear be a stump puller for heavy traffic/clutch preservation, and 7 as the extra tall cruising gear for fuel economy. Kind of like how a lot of the dual clutch gearboxes are set up.
8 isn't that bad. A double H for most stuff and a HHHH pattren for all the gears but protected by shift gates and springs.
Code:
Rb 1 3 5  7
|GG|-C-|--|
L  2 4 6  Ra
A saner 7 speed:
1 3 5  7
|-C-|--|
2 4 6  R

Something like that. A -- indicates that the spring is stiffer so that you don't over shoot a set of gears, a GG indicates that there is an electronic shift gate to keep you from missing 1st and hitting R while moving if R is in position Rb instead of Ra (or missing 2 and hitting L). L is back so that the L->1 is in the normal shift pattern. A C indicates where the shiftier centers.

Reply  Post New Thread