View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #588 (permalink)
changzuki
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Why retire? No further modifications?
Retiring this Centurion from competition has many reasons. One being that any further modifications start to really drift away from the design of the original Centurion - and that's the car I fell in love with 34 years ago when I bought the Feb 1982 Mechanix Illustrated magazine.
-

-
-
But that's not the only reason. Even before the car was built and on the road, I had every intention of "dethroning" the Avion. Centurion is lower, lighter, slippery enough, and not nearly as hungry. The huge fly in the ointment was the thought of trying to replicate the 1984 border-to-border run some 3 decades later. Roads and traffic change. Then there's the mad-texters out there that create a huge safety concern not to mention the logistics and cost of recreating the attempt. And what if there was a mechanical failure way on the other side of the country. After much thought, I ditched the idea entirely. But another event was realistically within my reach...
-
The Green Grand Prix was intended to be a one-shot deal and whatever mpg numbers I got, I'd stick on the fender. After that initial 214 mpg run in 2014, I was invited back for 2015, so I thought I might as well challenge myself to do better. In 2015 that happened when Centurion logged 250.64 mpg. And once again the little car was invited back to following year's event. In 2016, the 200 mpg barrier fell once again @ 204 mpg. Three years, three consecutive wins is as surreal as building a Centurion decades after seeing it on a magazine cover, and unlike the Avion's border-to-border run, this history is much easier to replicate should anyone decide to take a crack at it.
-
All said and done, it's time to retire her as a champ and leave the door open to those who have also have put in their time and will go on to compete in future Green Grand Prixs.
-
This is not to say there won't be some R&D with Centurion or possibly other new projects.
-
As of right now, Centurion has a few appearances to make...
and she's nearly ready!!!
-

-
-
~CrazyJerry

Last edited by changzuki; 08-03-2018 at 10:12 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
GreenHornet (04-28-2016), HHOTDI (04-27-2016), sheepdog 44 (04-26-2016), UltArc (04-26-2016)