View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Agreed on additives - generally, they're all snake oil.

I remember doing research and coming to the conclusion that Mobile One was the best synthetic, but that was a number of years ago. I would think that whatever is cheapest will probably offer the best ROI. Don't change it until it needs it.

Tires are the most important suspension component. If you fill you tires, you'll rattle your teeth out and tear up the rest of your suspension.

I'd still go with LRR street tires, personally. For on-road use, you want high pressure to minimize rolling resistance. For offroad use, I'd lower the pressure and take it easier to minimize the risk of a blowout. Also, sometimes more expensive tires give better return if they last a lot longer.

For a diesel, cold air intake.

Rear wheel skirts.

At the rear of the roof, partial kamm back.

Partial grille block when the weather is cooler, keep an eye on temps.

MOST IMPORTANT of all is a fuel economy gauge. Your van is new enough that you could use an OBD II gauge, like an Ultragauge or Scangauge. One of these will give you instant feedback that will allow you to modify your driving, and will pay for itself in short order.

If it's legal, you can remove a mirror or two, or downsize them. Don't compromise safety though.

Smooth wheel covers - pizza pans work great.

Air dam. Just made one for my Civic out of lawn edging.

Air deflectors in front of the rear wheels - these are standard on all cars now, but a 2004 probably didn't have them.

If you can "borrow" electricity sometimes, a block heater can pay for itself.