View Single Post
Old 05-06-2016, 05:37 PM   #51 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Could you turn the underbody upside down and nest it underneath the upper body?
If I got as far as a hollow shell for the upper body there'd be a slim chance that when 'stacked',their vertical height would fit in under the garage roof in the same bay.
But I'm not optimistic enough to believe that I'll get any further along than a male plug for any of these body parts.
As 'solid' structures,with all the internal bulkheads/stringers/formers/foam/Bondo/ 'n glass,there won't be any space inside them,excepting the bottom,which will have holes to accept the four wheels.
To make everything hollow would require 2-extra generations of fabrications:Mold and wet layup.
If it was going to be a 'real' vehicle it would be worth the effort,but not for a wind tunnel model-only build.
As it is,the parts will have just enough clearance to fit in the bed without chafing one another over the 5,000+ mile journey and still leave me room to sleep inside the rig,which I'll need to do for most of the trip.(Layne offered to store the model for me after testing but I won't be passing through Ogden on the way back from the west coast).
I'll have to leave the more exotic builds to the thousandaires and millionaires.

BamZipPow (05-07-2016)