View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #26 (permalink)
whitevette
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrv6 View Post
Perhaps your sherman tank didn't have to pass emissions? It takes more fuel to get cars to burn cleaner in the US. People always forget that when looking back at mileage they used to get in "X" car. Bring that car in to a testing station today and they would be in for a surprise.
You are correct, of course. My "older" cars got better mileage than my newer cars DID ( they have since been MODified). The point I was attempting to make was ... it shouldn't take more gas to "clean up" the combustion of gasoline.
Efficiency is the name of this combustion game. If 100% efficiency is achieved, we still are left with a CO2 by-product of this combustion process...as well as the heat of combustion forming NOx ( similar to lightning forming NOx). CO is an indicator / measure of incomplete combustion, as is unburned HC.
This CO2 is a tough nut to crack. I am proposing C & O2, even though connected by a double bond, are both "re-combustable". C is carbon ( coal is C) and O2 supports combustion. It's the double bond which creates a "difficulty".