View Single Post
Old 01-12-2008, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Aeromoding my truck ('95 Chevy S10 pickup)

Hey everyone,

I bought a '95 Chevy S10 pickup truck last week. It is a stock 2.2L engine with 5 speed manual transmission. 2 Wheel rearwheel drive.

I just ran through the first tank of gas and calculated 22 MPG. I was really expecting more than that with this truck.

I have not checked the fuel and air filters yet, although it did just have a new oil filter change right before I bought it.

So, I still have to check through the basics. Once I am done with that, I think I would like do do some aerodynamic modifications.

I think the main thing is that I need a cap anyways, so I would like to do one in the same style as that really nice fiberglass one the Bondo did.

I have zero experience with fiberglass, but was thinking coroplast might work well. It is light and waterproof. The truck is white, so plain white coroplast would match too.

I saw photos of a tiny bicycle camper that appears to be made of coroplast screwed to a light wooden frame.

Seems like that would be a decent technique for a DIY aero truck cap.
Maybe it could also be hinged at the top directly to the cab, and the whole thing flip up when needed to put bigger items in back.

Your thoughts?

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos