View Single Post
Old 05-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
I am struggling to puzzle out exactly which Deere tractor you mean. If you mean the old 3xx series, there weren't any 22hp diesels. That said, the diesel 3xx tractors were the BOMB and are totally worth keeping in good running condition.

The X3xx have a couple of 22hp models, none of which appear to be diesel.

Wait - do you mean the current 3 series? That has a great little engine and I don't understand what you mean about the 22hp industrial engine...would you be swapping down?

But all of that is neither here nor there. Electric tractors are proven technology and in my opinion a great way to go, especially with a chore tractor like you describe. You drive it here, do stuff, drive it there, do other stuff. Sometimes it powers an attachment. That fits pretty well with an electric tractor's power profile, I think.

Find a junked tractor and convert that. Don't waste the 3, if it's in good shape keep it that way.

I liked John Howe's conversion of an old Cub, he didn't even remove the engine. He just powered the tractor backwards, connecting the motor to the PTO, and bolted on a solar canopy.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (05-22-2016)