View Single Post
Old 05-31-2016, 11:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Check individual cells in the pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETCRX View Post
Hello, new guy here. I bought a 2004 civic hybrid with rocketship milleage of 244,375 miles. The IMA and check engine light would come on even after resets with code p1433 battery deterioration. I bought a grid charger and canrged it several times to a peak of 179 volts, which I thought is was high but I don't know. The grid charging helped but when it came time for the battery to discharge and recharge in use the p1433 code would pop up.
I bought a "good" battery from the salvage yard and after installing it I would get an instant IMA light and I could hear the relays witching off. Code P1432 (Cell overheating '04) and code P1433 ( battery pack deteriotation) plus the mandatory check engine 01600.

I took out the "good" battery and set it to the side. but after reading this thread I figure it may have something to do with the cut wires but don't know.

The previous owner had cats and dogs and a blanket of fur formed in the upper row of sticks the original battery so I figure I'd clean it and put it back in since it still charges and assists with the IMA light on and still helps get 38.7 mpgs

With some luck the P1433 was the battery not geting enough air flow. I'll find out when I drive it tomorow.
Maybe what you need is a way to get into more granular data. The battery is really a pack of batteries. Some in your old pack might have gone bad, and others in the replacement pack. So you need a scan tool that can measure the health of each of the cells. Once you know which are failing, if the battery chemistry is the same, you might be able to build your own "new battery out of the good cells in each pack. Here is a relecant link: https://www.scantool.net/forum/index...;topic=10442.0

I don't know if such a scan tool exists for an old car like a 2004 Civic Hybrind, but this is what one example looks like for the Leaf:

Of course the failure coukd be something else... don't mistake me for an experienced expert. I'm just a guy on a bulletin board tryna help a little. Good luck.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.