View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

Hi. Barry of Barry's Tire Tech here!

First, the maximum pressure written on the sidewall of a passenger car tire is no indication of quality or anything other than the brand's marketing department's opinion of what is needed to help sell tires.

I know of no published information that will tell you about a passenger car tire's ability to handle increased inflation pressure. In fact, I think it is irrelevant as the properties of interest in tire performance don't depend on a tire's ability to handle increased inflation pressure.

Please note: I am not a fan of LARGE amounts of over-inflation (over-inflation being defined here as above the vehicle placard pressure).

I have been cataloging what people have reported when they use large amounts of inflation pressure and have come up with the following:

Large amounts of over-inflation pressure tends to cause rough ride, wet traction issues, center wear, groove wander, and increased puncture rates, but improved overall wear rate, fuel economy, and steering crispness. Dry traction and vibration (balance) seem unaffected. The jury is still out on whether overall durability (that is, structural failures) are affected or not as the trend seems to be there, but there aren't a lot of data points. Please note that all of the above is based on anecdotal data and self-reports over the internet. It's reliability is suspect, but it is the only data available.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-09-2016), Ecky (06-09-2016), mcrews (06-29-2016), Xist (06-09-2016)