Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

What tires take high pressure the best?

Its no secret that some tires are just better then others, and those that lean towards being better can take a hit much better. Im not going to run on the nonsense fear of a blow out because that would require 60 plus psi to accomplish with a good set of tires. Essentially, what tires are meant for the autobahn.

Just from what I have read however, it appears the most efficient psi to run cold at is between 45 to 55. From what I have read here only a few people have suffered uneven wear, and its mostly in the back tires where the weight is the lowest, so probably should keep those on the lower psi end?

The highest rating I can find is a combo of 51 psi with a weight load of 1356lbs and a Speed rating of H or higher, vs say 44psi max with a load max of 1279lb at a T or S speed ratings. This all of course would be using LRR tires, and im guessing the higher rated tires would take higher pressure better.

Aside from that, is anyone aware of a ride suspension modification that is cheaper to implement then air bag suspension?

All you need to know about air ride on an 8th gen civic - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

This forum tells you how to do it, but its around 3000 dollars... And I would like to keep it under a thousand.

07 civic hybrid.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Barry's Tire Tech

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksa8907 For This Useful Post:
herbivor (06-30-2016), mcrews (06-29-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
The study of tire pressure is really old (1980!)... is it still current with technology? It seems to discuss some obsolete tech. Anyway, my experience with Michelin Defenders at 55-60psi for the last two or 3 years has been great. No problems for maybe 35,000 miles so far. Tread wear is fine. That's just my experience. You have to judge costs/benefits for yourself.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
I saw the title of this thread and thought to mention Defenders. They say "51psi" on the sidewall, which is higher than any other equally sized tire I've found.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I've heard it will take several hundred PSI to blow out even the cheapest of tires. I don't think it matters much what the rating is when it comes to running higher pressures. In fact, over-inflation should improve the speed rating of a tire.

A cheap suspension modification is to chop the coils to lower the ride height. All you need is a spring compressor and a hacksaw right?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 06-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I saw the title of this thread and thought to mention Defenders. They say "51psi" on the sidewall, which is higher than any other equally sized tire I've found.
Many tires say 51 psi on the side wall, its not uncommon. I think it has to do with dot regulation, but who takes 51 the best is my question.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
Not trying to be rude, but what does that even mean, 'who takes 51 the best?'

I've never blown a tire and I run my 35 PSI max sidewall winter tires at 50 psi all winter. I've done the same with other summer tires. Never had any issues. Tread wear has always been great and even. So, in my experience they all do.
mcrews (06-29-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've heard it will take several hundred PSI to blow out even the cheapest of tires. I don't think it matters much what the rating is when it comes to running higher pressures. In fact, over-inflation should improve the speed rating of a tire.

A cheap suspension modification is to chop the coils to lower the ride height. All you need is a spring compressor and a hacksaw right?
Aside from fear mongering, the only data I have seen is that low pressure causes blowouts like rim contact, which actually begins at 25 or 28 psi which is the danger level. personally I think going even 32 psi is to low in that respect, to which 40 to 55 psi is optimal.

Im not trying to lower the suspension, im trying to make it more comfortable like air suspension.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Tire Geek

Hi. Barry of Barry's Tire Tech here!

First, the maximum pressure written on the sidewall of a passenger car tire is no indication of quality or anything other than the brand's marketing department's opinion of what is needed to help sell tires.

I know of no published information that will tell you about a passenger car tire's ability to handle increased inflation pressure. In fact, I think it is irrelevant as the properties of interest in tire performance don't depend on a tire's ability to handle increased inflation pressure.

Please note: I am not a fan of LARGE amounts of over-inflation (over-inflation being defined here as above the vehicle placard pressure).

I have been cataloging what people have reported when they use large amounts of inflation pressure and have come up with the following:

Large amounts of over-inflation pressure tends to cause rough ride, wet traction issues, center wear, groove wander, and increased puncture rates, but improved overall wear rate, fuel economy, and steering crispness. Dry traction and vibration (balance) seem unaffected. The jury is still out on whether overall durability (that is, structural failures) are affected or not as the trend seems to be there, but there aren't a lot of data points. Please note that all of the above is based on anecdotal data and self-reports over the internet. It's reliability is suspect, but it is the only data available.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-09-2016), Ecky (06-09-2016), mcrews (06-29-2016), Xist (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Not trying to be rude, but what does that even mean, 'who takes 51 the best?'

I've never blown a tire and I run my 35 PSI max sidewall winter tires at 50 psi all winter. I've done the same with other summer tires. Never had any issues. Tread wear has always been great and even. So, in my experience they all do.

Well just from what is seems, some companies like to get away with the minimal to which case running 51 isnt the best idea(michellin group is one I think). Also im not aware of any particular data showing who performs good at high pressures taking into account weight, utqs, LLR characteristics, handling(how much pressure is to much pressure), etc, etc. To much regarding higher pressure seems to be hear say.

The Following User Says Thank You to HybridGates For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-09-2016)
Reply  Post New Thread