View Single Post
Old 06-17-2016, 04:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
funkhoss
EcoModding Lurker

The Little Car - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 91.08 mpg (US)

The Big Car - '94 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon
90 day: 44.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Thanks for writing that up. All that (and that result) for $4000? How much for the shop space and tools to make it happen?
Shop?! What "shop"? I did the trans and axle swaps on our uncovered concrete patio.

Okay--so there were some implied costs. The point I'm trying to make, though, is that I did this build on a very limited budget. In many cases, parts that I was able to sell from the car helped the overall cost. For example, I sold the stock "wire" wheel covers on eBay--for $239! (Two guys got into a bidding war). I also won't be surprised if I sell the 4L60E automatic for more than I spent on the entire manual swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I may have missed anything you said about the hitch. Did it come stock? Receiver or not? I ask because there are a lot of ecomodders who are interested in hitches and hitch accessories.

Like receiver mounted boat tail boxes. Is the lower gate side-hinged? Have you considered a collapsible boat tail hung on that?
These cars did not come from the factory with a hitch, and the aftermarket wagon hitches have been out of production for several years (sedan hitches are still available). My hitch is a Reese class III/IV receiver hitch that I picked up used (3,500 WC/10,000 WD).

I've thought about a boat tail, but that would interfere with the two main jobs for which we bought it: carpooling and towing. If we're just driving around as a family, we'll take the Metro.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkhoss For This Useful Post:
freebeard (06-18-2016), niky (07-12-2016)