View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 05:02 PM   #674 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Don't know about MMO, but can't you just patch the tube?
Temporarily, I did patch the tube - by splitting a length of rubber hose and then hose-clamping it over the exposed 1-1/4" of rusty steel tubing.

BUT that's only temporary. The tube is now so weak that manhandling the manifold while extracting the EGR passages plate, was enough to bend the tube over by 15º or so. I think I could replace it if I remove the whole manifold but - much easier to connect a hose that bypasses the rusty tube.

About the Marvel Mystery Oil -
I am trying to find out whether it changes the nature of the awful black material clogging the EGR passages.
My (former) Civic HX had clogged EGR passages and I never could get at them to clean them. But using MMO in the fuel enabled decent lean burn. I found it helped on the Insight too. Disagree with me if you like, it doesn't matter to me. I'm not trying to push the case for MMO here. Just trying to find out what hardness the clog material usually has?

My QUESTION to readers is, were your EGR passages clogged with hardened , baked-on black crud? Or was it more like a tar like material one could scrape off with a screwdriver blade? Because that's what I found, after about 15,000 miles driven using Marvel Mystery Oil.

Thank you in advance, for your informative replies.