View Single Post
Old 07-12-2016, 02:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
So, I'm making wheel skirts for my Malibu, and I've come to a part where I've got a question... Right now, I've got the skirt following the wheel arch for the first 135 degrees or so(imagine this as a portion of a semicircle), then curving out and going outside the arch straight back for about 6" and terminating... Underneath the skirt, the body tapers inward near the bottom, leaving about a 2" gap between the bumper cover and the skirt face... Now, this area is open for air to flow from the wheel well out the back of the skirt, but is this good, or would I be better off to taper the skirt back into the body of the car, and risk airflow separation due to the somewhat sharp curve?

The top of the rear part(blending from semicircle to square sticking out) touches the car, but the bottom part doesn't...
This sounds a little like what I did with mine, amybe, but I cannot tell without pics. Here is a pic of mine:

The bottom of the trailin edge does not contact the body. Here is a link to the post where I showed home I mounted it:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post464528

Hope it helps.

EDIT: Sorry, at first I had missed the pics you posted on the previous page. Now I have seen them. And yes, my design could help you a lot. I mounted my skirt outside the lip of the wheel well, a change from my first version which was more like yours. Doing so solved vibrating and rubbing problems and made it easier to conform the skirt shape to the body for the most part.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 07-12-2016 at 03:03 AM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-13-2016), BamZipPow (07-13-2016), mcrews (07-12-2016)