View Single Post
Old 07-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
I believe a neglected CVT is usually good for at least 150k, and I've seen plenty that are taken care of (frequent fluid changes, not abused) last well over 200k. With as few miles as that car has, there's probably a lot of life left in it. That said, I'd take a MT over a CVT any day of the week.

Some info regarding the MT problems, which I stole from a post on IC:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisbell View Post
I don't know the answer to your question, but recent evidence indicates that the grinding isn't usually caused by the synchros being worn out in the traditional sense. Some have begun repairing Insight transmissions by merely grinding the poorly-designed clocking tabs off the existing synchro rather than installing a new one which still has the defect. It's not known yet whether grinding would return sooner if a new synchro had been installed vs. modifying the old synchro, but synchros that have been examined apparently aren't very worn, so a modified synchro might actually prevent grinding longer than a new synchro with defective clocking tabs.
My 2nd gear has the common downshift grind, but it doesn't happen if I double clutch, and I always double clutch. My ISB is fine, and I'm at about 210k right now.