View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
My favourite car-related YouTube channel: Cold War Motors (What's yours?)

Frank Lee's comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Car hoarding doesn't have to make sense! As long as it's fun!

...prompted this thread.
My favourite YouTube channel is Cold War Motors. It is full of car hoarding and it is VERY fun.

It follows the adventures of a bunch of friends who rescue (then hoard) multiple old junkers from farmers' fields and from wrecking yards. We're talking relics from the 40's to the 70's, mostly old Detroit land yachts, but also some foreign oddballs.

"Will it run?"

The best videos are the ones where the goal of the rescue is to see if they can rise to the challenge of making the car run and drive again. Even if it has no brakes or floorboards, and the "fuel tank" is a plastic soda bottle full of gasoline dangling from the radio antenna, if it starts up it's a success.

Oh, and their budget is essentially zero dollars, or as close as possible.

The main character in the vids lives out in the country and seems to have dozens of cars littered about the property.

Here's a sample "will it run" episode. 1957 Dodge Regent which sat for 40 years. (Some language NSFW...)

Sometimes they actually fix the cars up up for road use. But it's still full of creative DIY fabrication & fixes with as small a budget as possible. Functional but not pretty.

Currently the main character is getting a 1949 Frazer Standard sedan ready for legal road use, and has been posting regular updates of his progress. Super fun to see him lazily drifting the car through a snowy corner on one of his test drives this past winter:

Local culture!

All the action takes place somewhere in rural Alberta, so you get to experience some of the regional dialect and expressions. Plus see a few "Canadianized" versions of old American cars. You may recognize the car, but not the nameplate. (Mercury Rideau, anyone?)

Oh, and since there's so much winter in Alberta, there are also a bunch of "cold start" videos of old cars so they have something to do outside of hoarding/repairing season.

Also, they seem to really enjoy partaking of the herb.

And Stella

The narrator's dog has a cameo in almost every video.

Blog

There's also a blog that hasn't been updated in forever, but the writing is great (and liberally peppered with profanity):

Cold War Motors

But the best action is on the YouTube channel. It's actually the only channel I'm subscribed to. Fun and highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/user/coldwarmotors

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c2ad.jpg
Views:	1799
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	20286   Click image for larger version

Name:	3bf9.jpg
Views:	2162
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	20287   Click image for larger version

Name:	6302.jpg
Views:	1856
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	20288  
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (07-21-2016), mcrews (07-21-2016), rumdog (07-21-2016), ThermionicScott (02-20-2017), wdb (10-18-2017), Xist (11-21-2017)