View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #33 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Maybe she just couldn't articulate why it bothers her?

I think I could guess: an engine that stops running unexpectedly? That's a BAD THING (TM) -- I can see that putting fear into a person who doesn't understand the feature or is generally nervous about their safety.

In a lifetime of driving conventional vehicles, an engine that stops running unexpectedly indicates the beginning of a stressful, possibly dangerous and probably expensive situation. It may be hard to overcome that.

Another source of unease: you want to scoot across the intersection but the engine is currently off? That's another BAD THING (TM).
I've driven one of these Malibus.

I'm not adverse to having the engine to turn off and on, I do it manually on my Civic all the time. But I don't like it turning off and on when I don't understand why. And I don't like having the engine off when I want to get moving.

Switching quickly from stopped to accelerating, it takes just a moment for the engine to start and then it lurches awkward. I thought this was awkward and can see this as a reason to dislike the system. Changing my habits slightly eliminated the lurching completely.

Sometimes while stopped, the engine would start again. I never figured out why exactly. It was probably something I was doing, but I'm not sure what.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
The Following User Says Thank You to darcane For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (07-22-2016)