View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
oldtamiyaphile
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
That's an interesting base for a project. Anyway, apart from the drivetrain, it seems like one of your first priorities would be fitting seatbelts to the truck, at least some old-school lap belts. And even if you end up adding some modern amenities such as A/C and power steering, I guess you agree with me that it would be cool if the interior looked the closest to stock possible.
What I wanted really was a Pro-Touring build, which is essentially an old car built for race track use. But the better a car is on track, the more boring it is on the road, the most fun car I've driven on the road is the Fiat 500 (and that includes Skylines and Porsches).

The seat appears to be non-original, it's a fixed base & back and is quite unlike any of the US F1's I've seen. It's also mounted up on some hardwood blocks! So I kind of have to decide on what to do with the seat first, then I'll be able to work out the belts. For now I'm mostly sticking to 60km/h zones, which is most of my driving anyway, and slowing at any intersection etc. I figure it's probably still a bit safer than riding a motorbike, and lots of people still do that.

Some driving impressions, still on target for 15mpg. I've started getting more into EOC, but I don't really trust the 6V starter to engine off at lights (even though it starts faster than a modern car).

EOC with a crash box isn't a lot of fun as you have to keep your foot on the clutch. Normally with a syncro box the syncros will slow the input shaft, with a crash box, you have to wait until it stops on it's own, which is basically far too long to be useful.

All things considered, it coasts pretty well. I'd guess the CD at around 0.4, as it's weight is similar to my Renault and Jeep and coast performance is somewhere between the two. I'm happy with that considering the off road tyres and low pressures (ride is bad enough without pumping them up!). Aero had me worried on these, and was a factor in picking the F1 over other trucks of the era. The narrow cab helps reduce the frontal area, it's about the same width as my Fiat 500, and I tend to prefer a snug cabin (on reason I went with the Fiat over a VW Up).