Thread: EPA may fine VW
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2016, 04:43 PM   #184 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Who are these people who think they're going to be able to buy a used one and drive it? As-is, the cars won't be legal on the road due to excessive pollution... And private party un-fixing... why not just pipe the exhaust back into the interior and get it over with sooner.
That's a lot of hyperbole. These diesels are WAY cleaner than the old ones from before the 90's. Sure, they might "spew" up to 40x the claimed amount, but we're not experiencing an environmental disaster. Tons of other diesels are much more polluting, and nobody is talking about how they are killing us.

Further, there are many markets even in the US that do not require emission testing. Most of Oregon doesn't require a vehicle to pass any emission testing.

I'd pay extra to have a fixed TDI; one that has the urea and DPF junk removed, and the tune set for more power and fuel economy. I doubt I'm alone in preferring this configuration, as some people realize that they are likely to die of heart disease or cancer, not diesel emission poisoning.

This isn't to minimize VW culpability in deceiving consumers and the government, but I want to put the risk to human well-being in proper perspective. If someone is concerned that TDI engines are killing them, then they should be gripped by sheer terror by their diet and exercise choices, and their likely death by heart failure.

It's good to see that VW owners are likely to get fairly compensated, and that a portion of their compensation is punitive, setting the tone that deception is too risky, and ultimately unprofitable.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!