View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #51 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
I only saw this topic today, but it struck a nerve because of an incident two days ago.

I pulled off the Interstate and went toward a department store for some items. The light ahead of me was green, but the light beyond that - maybe another hundred yards or so - was red.

I took my time. No point in hurrying to a stop, right? But I could see the driver behind me, waving and flapping at me, making very unambiguous "hurry up you slowpoke twit" sort of gestures.

Never mind that the upcoming light was red. Never mind that there was a stack of cars at the light, five deep. Never mind that there was no possible advantage to be gained by hurrying to the light.

My turn came up as we approached the stop light. It was still red and I still hadn't accelerated at all, especially not for the jerk behind me. As I moved into the turn lane he tromped the gas and lurched up to the stack of cars waiting for the light and lurched again to a stop because, of course, they were all stopped and now so was he.

I continued on my merry way, having not changed my speed at all and timing my arrival at the end of the turn lane so traffic would have cleared and I could continue around the corner without stopping.

So, does my ecodriving piss off other drivers: unequivocally, sometimes, YES. But I don't think they're aware that there are lessons to be learned.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
101Volts (09-24-2016), chumly (10-11-2016), UltArc (08-25-2016)