Thread: EPA may fine VW
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #189 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
I am kind of in the market for a 3.0 TDI suv but they are really in limbo. It made me wonder what happened to the people who have had to sell their car after the cheat was found but before the settlement. Seems they get at least 1/2 the settlement but may have took even a bigger hit then that on the trade in. Other who bought well below NADA may get to bank both 1/2 the settlement plus get VW to buy at NADA and bank again. So I thought there might be some good deals on 3.0s out there but instead if anything it has helped their value as they too may get the high valued buybacks. VW doesn't think they will need a buyback on the 3.0s as they have all the necessary smog stuff in place like DPF and urea tanks already, just a tune. So people holding them asking too much may be in for disappointment.
Now the $70,000 Mercedes ML or GL 3.0 diesels can be found easily under $20k now. I just wish they made a simple basic version of those things. Makes me just want to buy an old Sprinter and fix it up.