View Single Post
Old 08-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #62 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Turning an engine on and off is not going to hurt a turbo charger.

For example flight line used ford F350 super duty trucks with 6.4L diesel engine can be started and turned off 100 times per day 5 to 7 days per week because of the idiotic rules the air force comes up with.
In all that time I only know of 1 turbo charger failure. It failed because it was gunked up from being driven at 15mph or less (the flight line speed limit) during the winter on bio diesel. The effect on engine starters is surprisingly lacking. Starting the trucks 100 times per day maybe cuts the life of the starter maybe in half.
Before the fords we had 90 and 91 dodge rams with 5.9L. Those were more solid than the fords for sure.

Then there is the fact that EOC isn't a vehicle modification. But unlike HHO, EOC actually works. It would take my 7.4L gas suburban from 9 to 10 MPG and bring it up to 12 to 13 MPG. I only use the EOC going to stop signs and stop lights that have turned. I don't know what other people are doing.

I don't have power steering on my 3/4 ton suburban. It must be nice.

The one mod I see people doing that will end up costing more later on is over inflating their new tires. The middle of the tire will be showing cord when the shoulders still have 3/32 inch of tread. I will do a max inflation on a set of tires only after they are ready for replacement.

I'm nearing the end of a set of Potenza RE92's on my Insight, and they've been at 50PSI since they were new. The treadwear is almost perfectly even - I'll take pictures of them when I get new ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
t vago (08-30-2016)