View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 11:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
19bonestock88
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
... and "I saw an ad saying that a version of their truck gets good mileage" means a four wheel drive quad cab with the big engine is what's really going to get sold.
Well, the dealers make more profit selling a $60k fully loaded, 400hp, 4x4, crew cab truck, than selling the $23k, base model, six cyl, 4x2, regular cab truck that actually gets the advertised fuel economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Did they study what the respondents actually bought/would buy? Going into a dealer saying fuel efficiency is a priority probably results in more 27MPG CUVs being sold (27 is higher than the 20 an SUV would get, right?) than economy cars.
Dealer profits are also to blame for this... Why sell a customer a Corolla with $500 dealer profit instead of a RAV4 with $1500 dealer profit? The salesmen are usually pretty aggressive about going for the up sell... "You want a truck, you say? Well then, you're totally gonna want four wheel drive, and what's the fun of not being able to bring the family along?", or " I just think that CUV fits you better than that compact car does, and you deserve it, right?"

My last Ecotec project...