View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewhans View Post
Well it's been a rough summer for gas mileage.

The wheels and lowering happened about the same time so I think one negated the other to be honest. I still need to get the ecu retuned again, just haven't had the down time to send it in for a reflash.

I work all day in the NC heat so driving back and forth to work with the AC off just isn't an option for me personally. The heat has also been severe enough that I removed the grill block and am now 100% full airflow. All of these things have led me to poor mileage.

I am starting to keep track again of fuel mileage as I was getting very discouraged when seeing 15.xx mpg overal per tank so I stopped keeping track.

The 75% upper grill block may turn into 100% once the average daily temp goes below 70. I'll just rely on the lower grill to do the trick. Should be fine. I am also going to be actually accomplishing the belly pan on the bottom too.

She looks much better than the day I got her.

I missed this thread the first time through...

You are doing all the things I would suggest... but you have exactly the worst version of the Tahoe to start with for mpg. What gear ratio do you have? I'm guessing that is hurting you as well.

When shopping for a Tahoe for my wife, I picked out this one specifically for mileage:

It was lowered a little (didn't actually realize that when we bought it), and had 22" wheels, but was otherwise stock. 2wd, 4.8L V8, 3.23 gears. Now has 20" wheels from an '08 LTZ Silverado with 45psi in the tires. It's an '05 so it already has the OEM air dam (which is plenty, I wouldn't go lower) and the e-fan. We regularly see 20-25mpg hwy. Average is quite a bit lower though, since she does mostly city driving and has a rather heavy foot.

You can check out my Silverado thread below for some ideas if you like. Pictures were reposted late in the thread: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post441133
A couple pointers for blocking the grill:
1) Do you have a tranny cooler on the drivers side, in front of the radiator? I think this is standard on all of these trucks. I would strongly recommend leaving a hole for airflow there, especially if you tow.
2) The slots in the bumper should also bring air into the radiator.
3) Blocking from the front was much more effective for me than blocking the rear.

Good luck to you, I'm curious to see how you do.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods