View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Jared
EcoModding Lurker

Weapon 11 - '00 Honda Civic si/ex/lx/dx/hx
90 day: 40.42 mpg (US)

Mommy Mobile - '00 Subaru Outback
90 day: 25.33 mpg (US)

Sloth - '02 Subaru Wrx
90 day: 32.92 mpg (US)

Ruby - '99 Volkswagen Jetta
Noob to hypermiling

Hello, my name is Jared and I have been digging through EM for about two years now. I just created my account because I got my old civic back .

I have mechanical experience of just over nine years. A year at an independent shop, a year at a heavy diesel shop, seven years as a Honda technician, and still working friends and family's cars.

Now I am a Local 280 IBEW electrician, third year apprentice.
When I got into the program I fell into the "I can afford it!" Then went and sold my 2000 civic Si,Ex,Lx,Dx,Hx for a 2002 Subaru WRX. I built that car up with all STI parts and protuned it at FTW in Eugene at 300awhp and 300awtq. I found this site, again, and wanted to see what I could get the "Sloth" up to. (I will update fuel logs too) The best I was able to do was three consecutive tanks of 30.5 to 31.8 mpg. Cool! But the fact of the matter is it still money to fill, with premium fuel. Cost of parts are more expensive, Insurance is higher, the whole filling up every week at almost fifty dollars was still to high. So I sold it and bought my Civic back from some friends.

Now I am on a goal, should be easy, enough. 50mpg.
The Civic has a d16y8 swapped into it, with a rebuilt Hx transmission. I can regularly get 37mpg, with my normal driving. When hypermiling I have been able to get 45mpg.
My goal of 50mpg is not all that far off, but I want to do it just through driving habits for now. Because once I start adding grille block, air damn, wheel covers, underbody tray, the gains will be compounded(ish).

So any thoughts would be helpful, and I look forward to getting hook on mpg performance rather than 0-60 and rally performance.

Thank you,
Jared